How Thick is That Wall?

We never thought to ask that question. And since experience is a good teacher, we really should have. At the very least, at my age, and
being a woman of experience, I should have realized the flexibility in the meaning of the word 'beyond'.

Early Thursday morning, Laura and I flew out of DFW, heading to our Arising to Excellence Women's Gathering in New York. DFW is a massive
airport, and I have always been of the opinion that it was well thought out and planned. Living only ten minutes from the airport, it is normally
a breeze getting to and from the airport. We have a toll tag, and don't even have to stop for the toll booth. (Thursday morning it didn't work.) With
the terminals so spread out, we rarely have a problem with parking, and only face long lines at holiday times and spring break.

Thursday was different day. We arrived an hour and a half before our flight, as usual. I kissed my hubby goodbye at the curb,, and insisted that we
would be alright to get our luggage inside the door and to the counter. After all, we are women on the go! But stepping through those glass doors,
we realized we were going nowhere fast!

The counter for the airline we were flying was waaaaaaay down there. After 'dragging our bags and two carry-ons each' through christmas-length
lines, and mobs of confused people, we found that our flight was operated by another airline, which happened to have merged with the airline
'just beyond that wall'.

No problem, just go out those glass doors, down the sidewalk to the next door and "it is just beyond that wall". This was what brought me to the
realization of how fluid the word beyond is. Did he mean an inch or a mile beyond? How thick is the wall?

We went out the glass doors and began our journey 'beyond that wall', dragging our baggage, straining every muscle, racing time. Let it suffice for me
to say that it was a long way. The wind was so strong that my coat was blowing open and creating a sail to help push me backwards. Progress was
extremely slow.

We did make it to our destination safely and in time to get on our plane, but it really got me thinking about the walls we push through, the hardness
and thickness of those walls, and the continual struggles and hindrances to every day life. I couldn't help thinking about Paul's journey in Acts chapter two.
I had a new understanding of his words "the winds were against us" and "arriving with difficulty".

Today I am reminded that God is with me and through His strength we will make it to the other side. He is our EVER PRESENT help in time of
trouble. God is in our midst, and will help us "right early". We can be still and know that He is God. Before you attempt to get through today's walls
at your house, you may want to re-read Psalms 46.

Comments

Popular Posts