Also Lavished

I enjoy decorating my home for Christmas. Since this is one of my joys, I am amazed at the grace of God, which He has lavished upon me, as I have literally sat through this season with my leg propped in the air...able to do NO decorating! I have really been at peace. Amazing! Now, grant it, God has provided me with Laura, and my darling husband to do some decorating in my place. However, any of you who truly have an eye for, and enjoy decorating, certainly know how difficult it usually is to not decorate, or to allow someone else to do it for you! But this peace has been amazing!
It is my custom to decorate my tree in the living room with passion. I make a custom topper with miles (slightly exagerated) of ribbon, feathers, and glitz. My tree is themed: Last year and this year with crosses and pocket watches (it is time to return to the Christ of Christmas)...all golds and glitz with touches of burnt red ribbons and feathers. The bottom is wrapped with an antique hand crocheted bedspread. It is beautiful. I have a tall and narrow tree in the kitchen, which is decorated with teacups, teapots, china, and a custom made topper. I usually decorate my mantle heavily with beautiful garlands, topped with snow, pine cones and ribbons. I also put garlands, icy crystals, and burnt red touches on the top of the china cupboard, the guest room bed and antique dresser, and the top of our huge western bed in the master bedroom. I put out a large display of clear glass snowmen, more than a few Christmas arrangements though the living room, dining room and kitchen, and I lavish my dining room table with red and gold chargers, dishes and gobblets that I have collected over the years. I love decorating!
That is why I know that it is by God's grace that I have been so relaxed with just instructing and pointing directions to Paul and Laura to accomplish minimal decorating this season. They have done an excellent job at decorating the trees and Laura even did the mantle. A friend stopped and put out the snowmen. That was plenty for me. I felt perfectly comfortable skipping the outside hedges, the inside (17 foot high) and outside wreaths, the china cabinet, the master bedroom and guestroom, and all finishing touches. We have less than a week before Christmas, so what is the need to add more now. It was finished.
You know that you have been 'also lavished' when your husband gets up on the last Saturday before Christmas and starts decorating. "Honey, you don't have to do that! It is fine the way it is." I tried to convince him to stop from my ring side seat on the couch. But he methodically continued. He has decorated the hedges, got out the ladder, put up the two wreaths, and finished the china cabinet and dining room in nothing less than 'Southern Home' style. (Of course, he has learned from the best. He said that it took him the last 37 years to earn his decorating degree.) But it is beautiful!
I didn't need to have it done. I was completely at peace. I have actually enjoyed the refreshing rest of refocussing on Christ. But Paul knew that it would make me happy to see things decorated, so he 'also lavished' it upon me.
(Note: Ladies love being 'also lavished'.)
I was reminded today of how Christ 'also lavished' us. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. He destined us in love to be his sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace which he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In him, we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he also lavished upon us." Eph. 1:3-8
In this Christmas season, remember...the Christ of Christmas has 'also lavished' you.

Comments

TrashTidBits said…
I can verify that your topper has miles of ribbons. Thanks instructing me how to tuck it through the tree so that people don't trip on them. :) All kidding aside, your house looks lovely. I'm glad that I was able to help.

Popular Posts