I'm Do'in That...

I remember the cover of a popular Christian magazine from years ago. In the picture, Kay Arthur was sitting on a swing, on a gracious looking front porch. She was relaxed, with her feet up, covered with a little afghan, reading her Bible, with her pen and journal by her side. I remember my immediate thought: "I wish I could do that!" My children were young, at that time, and my life was set on 'hectic' speed.
Now, I'm do'in that. Not on a gracious country porch...not covered with a dainty afghan...not dressed with make-up in place...in fact, not fit for pictures anywhere...but I'm do'in that! I have plenty of time to sit with my legs up, (literally) Bible open on my lap, and pen and paper along side. Yes, I'm do'in that!
Laura has returned from NY for the month. (What a blessing!) Often (real often) while she is sitting with me and keeping me company, she is on her computer...googlin, researching, checking stats, on facebook, and now her new thing: twittering. I can't explain it, but supposedly you can get on this twitter site and just write: "I am..." and then write what you are doing at the moment. Like "I am eating soup." Or I am watch T.V." (I haven't figured out exactly why you want someone to know what you are doing at the moment, but...) Anyway, this new activity of Laura's has given birth to this blog. I thought that maybe someone would like to know what I'm doing.
Also several years ago, I read one of Beth Moore's books, where she told that one morning in the snowy mountains of Colorado, where she was hiding away trying to finish a book, the Lord told her to stop working, and go out and lay in the snow and make snow angels. At first, she resisted, and tried to get back to work, but when she could not rid herself of the thought, she put the work away, and went out and made snow angels. I thought, "I wish I could do that."
I'm do'in that! And you guessed it, I am not in the snowy mountains of Colorado making snow angels...but with mounds of work and writing around me, trying to focus to begin to finish many projects, I'm learning how to put down my work and get up and...well, the marks I'm making are not in the snow, but rather in the carpet. They do not resemble snow angels at all, but the wheels, and two tennis balls on my walker do leave their distinct mark all through my house, as I leave my pile of work to change positions and move about to give my body and my brain a rest. Yes, I'm do'in that!
I have also found a few other relaxing treats and techniques. On Saturday, Laura and Paul took me 'wheely shoppin'...'wheely' they did! We stopped at a few places looking for Laura's Christmas tree, and Laura would get out and scout to see if the store had a wheel chair so I could 'wheely shop' with them. There was one store that did not have a wheel chair, so in that store I went 'shoppin hoppin' on my walker. (Needless to say, I did not make it too long.) When I am strong enough for the malls, I will probably resort to 'scooter' shoppin'....but I'm do'in that!
Also years ago, as a young and struggling Pastor's wife, holding a baby, with a toddler dangling on my leg, I remember hearing from other Pastor's wives how the Lord sent them someone to clean their house, or bring in meals for the month. I thought, "I wish someone would do that for me." And now, without babies or toddlers dangling from my leg, my husband, Laura, and ladies from the church are doing that for me. And yes, it is very uncomfortable for someone who is used to being in the background surrounding and covering to sit in the center uncovered. And it is very, very hard, extremely hard, for a servant to learn to enjoy being served!! But yes, I'm do'in that too!
Although not from a platform, I am beginning to be able to teach a little, and I see a few teaching opportunities coming in the next couple of weeks. I taught Laura (with absolutely ZERO experience) how to paint my toenails. RED! From a pile of pillows, I taught my husband how to make Grandma's gravy. I'm teaching my granddaughter and others how to decorate, as I direct them how to move, adjust, and angle things that bug me in my living room. And in the next few weeks, I am going to be teaching Christmas Decorating 101 and 102!!! I am! I'm do'in that!
Grant it, I'm learning and doing at a much slower pace these days. It seems that one day of doing requires two following days of doing nothing. But while it may not look like, sound like, feel like, or be like what I thought it would. I'm learnin to do it. And "With God we shall do valiantly" (Ps. 108:13)
Yes, I'm do'in that!

Comments

TrashTidBits said…
I like do'in that with you. I'm looking forward to decorating 101 and 102 classes. One question: do I have to count or read music in class? See you soon.
Anonymous said…
I have been praying that God would give you a rest time for writing and meditating. He did...of course, I didn't expect (neither did you), that He would allow a broken leg...but, we know that He uses everything in our lives to draw us closer to Him.
So thrilled that you are finding time to write again---it is always inspirational and relevant!
Love,
Michele
nymrsb said…
If you were here I'll bet Judy would let you use her front porch :) Glad you have such ready servants to bless you...

Popular Posts