Musings, Memories & Mashed Potatoes

Today when the crack of dawn shot across the St. Lawrence Seaway and burst into our hotel window, I was already sitting up and resting my writing brain against the poofy pillows. A little too sleepy, and far too comfortable, to get up and get my glasses off the table (a whole three feet away), I started sloppily jotting down my Father’s Day fodder.

“She has her father’s eyes.” I know I’ve used this one many times myself. Even in babies, it is often very easy to see ‘the eye’ resemblance first. It could be the color, the shape, or simply the twinkle in the eye. It might be the brightness, or the deepness, or the way the eyes are set that cause one to make this comparison. True to this saying, I really do have my father’s eyes.

It has been said that through the eye, one can see the soul. I wonder, do I have my heavenly Father’s eyes? When others look into my eyes, do they see that I resemble my heavenly Father? Can they tell that I love Him with all my heart? Ps. 57:7 “My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast…”

Another ‘father phrase’ that I’ve heard many times is: “She’s a spitten image of her father. Now I’m not sure how the ‘spitten’ got in there. I’ve not studied that part out, but the meaning of the phrase should be that everything that you see in her resembles her father. Perhaps it implies that if you are close enough to spit…you are close enough to see every tiny detail of resemblance?

It is sad to say, but sometimes when we are that close to a person, we don’t always see the resemblance of the heavenly Father that we are expecting. I want to walk like Him, carry myself like Him, talk like Him, and love like Him, in every way. I have a picture of my twin grandsons with their hands in their pockets, just like their pop-pops. They are right next to him. Everyone can see that they are copying him. And they are not ashamed or embarrassed that they are just doing what he is doing. They’re proud of it. My desire is truly to reflect, or mirror my heavenly Father. “We who first hoped in Christ have been destined and appointed to live for the praise of His glory..” Eph. 1:12

How about the “If her father could see her now” one? I think we’ve all heard this one referring to the good, the bad, and the ugly behavior of someone. And depending on the behavior, the father’s heart might be filled with shame or delight if he were there. The Word tells us that He dances with delight over us, and He sees our downfalls and our uprisings. I Peter 3:12 “For the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer; But the face of the Lord is against those that do evil.”

“She’s following in her father’s footsteps” usually refers to a job, career, or vision. Sometime during or just after high school, a doctor’s daughter might just decide to enroll in school to become a doctor. Perhaps you’ve lived in the same place long enough and are old enough to see your teachers’ children teaching in the local elementary school. I have followed in my own father’s teacher, preacher, and author shoes. “Like father like daughter.” And now, I am following my heavenly Father’s steps on a fishing expedition for men. Matt. 4:19 “And He said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

When I was growing up, we were taught well. We all sat down to dinner together. All eight of us. We waited for mom to sit down. We all bowed our heads to thank our heavenly Father for the food. When dinner was over and we were excused, we’d put our plates on the counter, and get our Bibles and sit back down. We all read and we prayed all the way around the table. There were no cell phones to reach for, and if the one phone hanging on the wall rang, it usually waited for mom or dad to call back after prayer time. Table manners were taught and kept.

Ps. 32:8 says: “I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” I have a vivid ‘at my father’s table’ memory of this Psalm in action. One night, we were having company for dinner. The rule was that each dish would be passed all the way around the table, until each one was served. If we finished our first helpings, we were not to take seconds until they were passed to our guest. On this particular night, as on most, my only brother finished first. “Could you please pass the mashed potatoes?” he asked. Immediately, the passing commenced. But before the potatoes reached my brother, my father’s eye caught his. It was just for a brief second, but in that second, my brother changed his mind and lowered his calorie intake. The potatoes reached his hand at the same moment that his mouth breathed, “Ah, no thanks. I don’t think I’ll have any more.” His mind was changed, by the counsel in the eye of his father, and my life was forever impacted.

“She’s got her father wrapped around her little finger.” I know that this one has always carried the implication that the child was spoiled, but this morning, I’m musing about the miraculous fact that our heavenly Father is ever present. Psalms 23 tells us that He is ever with us, He guides us, leads us, and provides for us. I just want to reach up, take His hand, and wrap my fingers around His.

Thank you to my own father, for introducing me to my heavenly Father.

Happy Father’s Day! I love you!

Comments

Popular Posts