Some Glorious Daybreak

"Be ready to leave by 5:45", he said. And that was all he said. No word of what his plans were or why so early. He didn't ask me if I wanted to go or give me any options, but there was a bit of excitement in the air and a twinkle in his eyes. Those twinkles get me every time.

When my alarm went off at 5 the next morning, I thought about the reasons one would get up at this hour: 1. To go to work. (No, he had the day off.) 2. To leave on a trip. (No, we were staying in town.) 3. Easter sunrise breakfast. (Again no! It was July.) With just 45 minutes to shower and get ready, I quickly pushed aside all thoughts of spoiling his surprise and believe it or not, I was ready to go by 5:40!

When the car turned toward the lake, just a few minutes from home, I knew his destination, but was still vague about his plans. He parked by the boat ramp and jumped out telling me we had come to see the show. God's show! He opened up the back of the SUV and began to unload the car. Obviously, while I took my shower, he had been a very busy man.

He pulled out two chairs, setting them up with a small table between them. The back of the car became a treasure chest. I watched with amazement as he pulled out a large thermos of coffee, my creamer, spoons, small bowls, banana muffins, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries and napkins and then, right there in the parking lot, overlooking the lake, our breakfast theatre took form. I kissed him, and he asked me if he forgot anything. I smiled and said "perhaps my Bible." He smiled and reached into the side pocket of the cooler and pulled it out.

The temperature was perfect. There was a gentle breeze. We could hear the fish as they jumped up to say their good mornings. Quiet and peace enveloped us like a soft blanket. We snuggled in. Little by little the eastern sky began to display undertones of pink and red. The fishing boats, barely visible, began slithering into the quiet waters.

And then, it happened! Out from the folds of the horizon, with no fan fare at all, yet with unmatched splendor and glory, the sun rose! Who said we couldn't have our Easter sunrise service in July?

In my heart strains from the song "Some Glorious Daybreak" broke through the silence and somehow filled my ears.

(1) Some glorious morning, sorrow will cease,

Some glorious morning, all will be peace;

Heartaches all ended, Labor all done,

Heaven will open, Jesus will come.

CHORUS:

Some golden day-break, Jesus will come;

Some golden day-break. Battles all won,

He’ll shout the vict’ry, break thro’ the blue,

Some golden day-break, for me, for you.

(2) Sad hearts will gladden, all shall be bright,

Goodbye forever to earth’s dark night;

Changed in a moment, like Him to be,

Oh, glorious day-break, Jesus I’ll see.

(3) Oh, what a meeting, there in the skies,

No tears nor crying shall dim our eyes;

Loved ones united, eternally,

Oh, what a day-break, that morn will be

We were watching and expecting that sunrise. I couldn't help but think, are we watching and expecting the Son to rise? (I have put in my order for a twice a week repeat...and am still waiting for an answer.)

Comments

Laura said…
How wonderful!! Hope your twice/week request gets answered soon.
nymrsb said…
What a wonderful surprise!

Popular Posts