Pouring to Plant

This evening's quiet finds my entire being exhausted but inspired. I guess that is a 'good tired'. My 10 year old grandson had an outpatient surgery on his foot yesterday. Today, he had to stay off his foot, keep it elevated, but finish a few pages of homework and review for a  math test. Mom had to work so the "Mi-Mi Force" was called in.

I love fourth grade. In fact, I love K - 4th. I've heard a well accepted statistic that in 5th grade they find out that they are about as smart as you are, and by 7th grade they are convinced that they know more than you do. My substitute teacher experience backs up this line of thinking. I treasure the moments of wonder and amazement I've enjoyed interacting with young children.

Today, Cordel and I examined his rock collection, read his science, and talked about fossils. We searched for nouns, proper and common, talked about prime numbers, did his math worksheets, and reviewed and re-reviewed decimals and place values. Granted it took breaks of French toast, grilled cheese, and ice-juice slushies in the blender (that probably will only ever be made by the Mi-Mi force). But the goal for the day was to get his homework done, and prepare him for his math test (in school this afternooon).

I was excited, and realized 'the pouring' only after his mom called me this afternoon to report that he felt the test was easy. Yes! It worked! I wondered if he would remember the days we spent together and the moments we have shared in learning when he becomes president...or a wonderful Christian man, bringing forth fruit. And then I remembered this quote I read the other day.

"It is not so much what is poured into the student
But what is planted that really counts."

I am not sure who wrote these words. I read them in a little book called The Heart of a Teacher, by Ruth Anne Muir. But they certainly express my heart. However, it is true that more often than not, we spend hours pouring and do not get to enjoy seeing what's been planted right away. It may take years to bloom.

I rarely do much with facebook, but from time to time, I do enjoy catching up with what others are doing. Last night, I was encouraged to read this comment from one of my friends in my Wednesday night Bible study at Abundant Life Church in Grapevine:

"Golden Nuggets from Sue's class: Don't be discontented with your present circumstances. Discontentment breeds mistrust. Satan is trying to deceive you if you are currently (1) struggling with the truth, (2) questioning the truth, and trying to (3) re-write the truth. We need to know Scripture intimately so Satan cannot lie to us. SAY THIS NEXT SENTENCE OUT LOUD: God is still God in MY current circumstances."

Wow! My own words come back to encourage me. There it is! Springing forth! Perhaps facebook is O.K. I see a plant blooming.! God of the day is still God in the night!!

And yes! And I do love "pouring to plant"!

Comments

Sharp Creations said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharp Creations said…
I'm SO glad that YOUR anointed words came back to enourage YOU. Although I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night - lol - I DO remember the profound word I heard the very FIRST time I heard you teach. It still gives me instant peace, and I have repeated the words to many other people - while praying for them and just talking to them - because they truly resonated with me. What were the words? DO NOT EVER DOUBT GOD. NOT HIS METHODS AND NOT HIS TIMING, BECAUSE IT IS ALWAYS PERFECT. So yes indeed, you have planted AND poured, and are seeing and hearing the harvest already - which blesses me because it encourages you.
Anonymous said…
Amen!!!!

Michele L.

Popular Posts