The God of All Comfort

I was asked to call an out of state friend today. A friend in desperate need of comfort and encouragement. It is so hard to know what to say when you already know that no one has anything to say, and everything that could be said has been said...When you know that there really are no pat answers...

God reminded me that He would be faithful to flow through me when I flipped on Beth Moore, just in time to hear her say that your calling will take you where you are not comfortable. Yes, Lord.

I was reminded of this scripture: "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too." II Cor. 1:3-5

The fact that "He is the stability of our times" (Is. 33:6") is such a source of comfort in my life. No matter what I am going through, or no matter how rough and rocky things seem, I try to remind myself that He is the stability of my times. First, because He knows more about 'my times' than anyone else. He sees the seen and the unseen. So He knows the source of what is blowing me over, even when I can not see it. And secondly, He knows how to quiet the storm, stop the wind, level the mountain, or whatever it takes. He knows just what to put under the table leg!

Yes, He has...He is all comfort. And though the "rod and staff" in our lives, most often seem to be His means of discipline, yet, even His rod and staff..."they comfort me". (Ps. 23) Oh, thank the Lord for the many times we've 'been saved by the staff'. It is easy to look back and see a picture of ourselves 'dangling securely' from the hook of His staff, as He has pulled us to safety yet more time! Or perhaps you are one who can still feel that little snapping sting on your ankles, as He lovingly moved you over to where you were meant to be. It is good to remember, that He is the God of all comfort, and that even though it may not always seem comfortable...If we let Him, He will bring us to comfort...completely resting and trusting in Him.

Ps. 119:50 says: "This is my comfort in my affliction that thy promise gives me life."

Comments

Popular Posts