Who for the Joy...
Do you ever listen to yourself talk? Sometimes, if you intently listen to yourself, you can hear someone else talking. Like God. That's right! God!

Just this morning, I was sharing with a friend. She is struggling through some God things. (That's how you do it, by the way. You struggle through. All the way through. Kind of like a butterfly emerges on the world.) Anyway, forgive the rabbit trail. My friend is struggling through some God things, and I found myself in one of those "take no thought" moments. You know the ones where God just gives you what you are to say?

Right in the middle of my 'taking no thought', I shared Heb. 12:2: "...looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."

And that is when it happened. I was sharing, but I was so clearly hearing God speak to me: "'...who for the joy that was set before him'. Jesus endured the cross for the joy that was set before Him. He endured the cross for the joy of being one with his Father."

And God didn't stop talking to me there. "You don't always do that, you know. You seek other joys when you struggle through things", He said.

I've been thinking about this all morning. When we struggle, why do we seek as joy, what will make us comfortable, what feels good or right, makes us look better, or somehow makes us wealthier. When we struggle through to be obedient to His will, why is the joy of being one with Him not enough? Why are we so dependent on what we feel, instead of being dependent on the Truth and what we know?

Yes. Selah! Think on these things.
"Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you!"
Ps. 116:7

Comments

Anonymous said…
You speak the truth. I think this is one of those situations where the Word is sharper than a two edged sword and cuts to the marrow.

We all have a choice to make when we struggle through God things. Are we going to seek the joy of being one with Him or seek it someplace else?

Thanks for keeping me on track and challenging me during my struggle through the God things that I shared with you.

You are truly a good friend. Love ya.
connielafaver said…
Thanks for sharing the Heart of God in this situation, it helps me to put some things in their rightful place in my heart with a very difficult situation that our family is and has been trying to deal with. We do it all for God to be glorified...

I appreciate the heart you have for helping woman who are trapped in a life that is not what God is calling them to be doing, they need His grace and Freedom for sure. Keep in prayer a young woman in our life who needs to be set free from this sort of life.

Thanks

Popular Posts