Here's Hoping

I am in the middle of a couple of decorating projects...kind of big ones. As I am going 90 miles an hour, each day racing toward the 'must-be-done-by' one, I keep 'hoping' that I finish on time. Last night as I sank into the couch, I released a "I hope I can finish" sigh to my husband.

I've been thinking again about hope a lot lately. I say 'again' because hope is kind of my thing. I've always needed to have hope. I have a few decorator items with the word hope on them. Some people have love, or faith, or joy...I have hope. My desires is to inspire or impart hope to others along the way.

In the Old Testament, Rahab hung a cord from her window to say to the spies that she was waiting in the house for them. Without going into a long study (which the teacher in me would like to do...but my projects await...) the Hebrew word for cord or rope in this passage comes from the word 'hope'. Her hope connected what she did not know...her faith...with what she was expecting...her deliverance. Hope connects what is unseen or hard to understand with what is (Who is) truth and our solid foundation.

Today I read Ps. 119. Just for the fun of it, I counted approximately 167 times in that one chapter where the phrase 'thy words', 'thy statues', 'thy commandments', 'thy precepts', 'thy ordinances', 'thy promises' or other phases for God's words are used. His words are obviously very important. One of these days I'll blog some of those, but this morning my heart is singing verse 114 and verse 147.

Ps. 119:114 "Thou art my hiding place and my shield; I hope in thy word."

Ps. 119:147 "I rise before dawn and cry for help; I hope in thy words."

His words are the solid connection that we have, from the unstable position we find ourselves in, whatever that may be for you now, and the absolutely, restfully, sure foundation we have in in Him. His words, His statutes, His ordinances, His precepts, His promises!

"Your words are life to my soul, Oh Lord, my portion! Oh, how I love sitting here with you. And now, I must get busy on these projects, and I sure am hoping I get finished on time. And Lord, I was hoping...ah expecting you'd go with me...O.K? Yes!! I knew you would! Thank you, Lord. Amen."



Comments

TrashTidBits said…
Thanks for your insights and thoughts about hope. They are timely for me.

Oh, by the way, I hope that you finish your decorating projects. Of course, I have a good reason to hope since I will be moving in August 9. Can't wait to see what you are creating for my new home!

Popular Posts